On This Day in Pittsburgh History: November 16, 1916
Kennywood registered as corporation. The location was a tree-filled portion of farm owned by Anthony Kenny, known as “Kenny’s Grove,” and had been a popular picnic spot since Civil War. In 1898, Monongahela Street Railway Co., seeking to increase fare profits on weekends, leased land in order to create a trolley park, which were precursors to amusements parks. The company’s chief engineer, George S. Davidson, designed the original layout and served as its first manager.